Thursday, October 11, 2007
Awarded for Inconvenient 'Factual Errors'
If I had made this many factual errors in my written work for my Master's Degree, I would have been 'removed' from the graduate school. (h/t Blackfive)
* The film claims that melting snows on Mount Kilimanjaro evidence global warming. The Government’s expert was forced to concede that this is not correct.
* The film suggests that evidence from ice cores proves that rising CO2 causes temperature increases over 650,000 years. The Court found that the film was misleading: over that period the rises in CO2 lagged behind the temperature rises by 800-2000 years.
* The film uses emotive images of Hurricane Katrina and suggests that this has been caused by global warming. The Government’s expert had to accept that it was “not possible” to attribute one-off events to global warming.
* The film shows the drying up of Lake Chad and claims that this was caused by global warming. The Government’s expert had to accept that this was not the case.
* The film claims that a study showed that polar bears had drowned due to disappearing arctic ice. It turned out that Mr Gore had misread the study: in fact four polar bears drowned and this was because of a particularly violent storm.
* The film threatens that global warming could stop the Gulf Stream throwing Europe into an ice age: the Claimant’s evidence was that this was a scientific impossibility.
* The film blames global warming for species losses including coral reef bleaching. The Government could not find any evidence to support this claim.
* The film suggests that the Greenland ice covering could melt causing sea levels to rise dangerously. The evidence is that Greenland will not melt for millennia.
* The film suggests that the Antarctic ice covering is melting, the evidence was that it is in fact increasing.
* The film suggests that sea levels could rise by 7m causing the displacement of millions of people. In fact the evidence is that sea levels are expected to rise by about 40cm over the next hundred years and that there is no such threat of massive migration.
* The film claims that rising sea levels has caused the evacuation of certain Pacific islands to New Zealand. The Government are unable to substantiate this and the Court observed that this appears to be a false claim.
If you're a left-leaning, former Vice President of the United States and you make such blatant factual errors, you're handed an Oscar and a Nobel Peace Prize.
First, all this did was diminish the great Nobel winners who spent their lives contributing to science, literature, and peace.
Second, I can see why Western Civilization is in decline.
We are doomed.
posted by El Capitan at 10:21 AM
Gore's film had more inaccuracies and lies than Michael Moore's films combined.
That is disgraceful in my opinion - and a slap in the face to the deserving men and women who have won Nobel Prizes in the past.
Remember Guys, didn't "Jimmah Cahter" get one of those...?3:18 PM
In a New York Sun Editorial their nominee is General Petraeus,
I actualy believe that all of our men and women in uniform should be awarded the prize, since they are in fact keeping the peace.