Thursday, June 07, 2007
I Just Can't Keep Up...
I hit a wall this week. The program I'm running to get new capabilities to the folks out in the field literally needs Colonel-level oversight, yet they've got me and a rag-tag bunch of retirees running the show. It's like we're on a sprinter's pace in a marathon. Something's gotta give.
Last weekend the bio-loser-dad of my step kids was in town to watch his 17-year old son graduate high school. Other than is usual threats of violence and inability to comprehend complete sentences, things went as well as they could have other than the fact that the moron ran over my sprinkler while backing out of my driveway. I spent Sunday afternoon digging up the lawn to fix it. Jerk-Off! The SWATT helicopters and my bullet-proof vest weren't as necessary as they had been in the past. I hope your weekend went much better with as little violence and arrests MissBirdlegs!
So I show up to work on Monday and there's an email asking for folks with my experience, degree, and credentials to apply for an AFROTC job at Wright-State University. This was ideal for my situation, and it would mean I could keep my family here in Dayton for 3 more years while still getting that all important Permanent Change of Station (PCS) on my records. To top it off, I used to work with the Col at that detachment, so I was a shoo in for the position.
Following the email instructions I contacted Air Force Personnel Center to ask for permission to apply for the job. Response: NO!
In other words, the people who know why I need to stay in Dayton told me to go F' myself. Even better, I get a call from some poor NCO at AFPC telling me that even though I'm not moving to Los Angeles this summer as planned (thank God), I'm still moving.... even though my family is staying here in Dayton. In other words, we couldn't give a crap about your situation, you're leaving your family even though it makes no sense to PCS you now.
I almost separated last night. I was going to get out and come back into the same job I'm doing now as a civilian. The pay is much better, and my time in service would have given me an edge, but the wife is dead set against making the move.
Soooooo now what? Well, I can't get out, I can't stay in Dayton, I have to leave the family and move. What's the next logical step? Deploy. I tried to get a 1-year tour to Baghdad or Kabul, but I keep getting the usual "f'Off, you're PCSing" from AFPC. Well, guess what, they may be able to stop my remote tour, but they can't stop me from deploying on a 6-month gig.
So I signed up for a short notice deployment today. Not sure if I can pull it off or not, but it's the best thing I can do under the circumstances.
If I do get the green light to go, I'll let you all know. Then I'll have to figure out how to blog from wherever I'm going. Not as easy as it was back when I first went to Iraq.
Wish me luck. I need it on this one.
10-4 good buddy. C'mon back, ya hear!
posted by El Capitan at 11:05 AM
You got it - wishing you luck! Sorry you're so frustrated, but totally understandable. I'm sure you just skimmed the situation for us.5:58 PM
Forgot to say that my weekend was surprisingly pleasant (I didn't even have to break out my pistol), although our "side" of the congregation wasn't a very good example for the wedding couple. :(6:05 PM
Sorry to hear that they are screwing with ya!
That's so wrong. May good fortune winds blow in your direction.
Looks like we'll be leaving your old stompin' grounds - heading to N. VA.
Found a great old farmhouse on 10 acres.
Door's always open ~
I recently returned from a deployment (that I volunteered for). They told me yesterday (my first day back) that I'm deploying on a 179 days deployment. I am leaving as early as August! My life is zooming by. I am feeling very overwhelmed at the moment. Good luck to you.6:14 PM
Oh, it's totally going around!
Hubby got IDE, and then was told he wasn't guaranteed a slot until 2010! Then they refused to PCS us because he "might" get IDE sooner. Which means hubby will not be able to get the command slot he needs, because we aren't allowed to move.
So, hubby accepted a civilian position and applied to get out under the VSP, but his application was rejected so they could take the application of the guy who applied for the VSP the DAY AFTER HUBBY (he's got friends, ya know)!
Then hubby had to apply for an early out waiver (he has 84 days of accrued leave due to his deployments), which the general STILL HASN'T SIGNED, even though we're down to less than 3 weeks from the time we're supposed to move now.
Oh, and hubby is leaving on a very short deployment for the last few weeks he's in, so I'm scrambling to pack up our house (too late for movers), find a house in DC that will hold for us even though we can't guarantee the rent yet because the General hasn't signed, and clean to base standards.
Not to mention that if hubby gets turned down by the General at the last minute he has to reapply and it resets his 6 month clock.
It's TOTALLY going around, dude!
Good luck dude!9:45 AM