Tuesday, June 12, 2007
Preparation for Deployment, part 1
It was tough giving up the helm of the program I had worked so hard on since taking over in February. Before I came on board the system (which I hope to talk about some day, even though it's been in the news quite often) it was floundering. I'm proud to say that fielding is just around the corner. Not because of me of course. I give myself maybe 10% of the credit. The other 90% is a combination of stealing money from other programs to fund ours, and the great work my team did to make each part of this puzzle come together. No matter how much ACC didn't want this thing to happen, we made it happen.
So, to my team... as I sit out here in my backyard, I hold my McDonald's collectible Shrek glass filled with a 2005 Shiraz up high to toast our success.
Now, I've had a few days to dust off my old game plan and think about what I need to do to prepare for this deployment. The Air Force has finally learned how to deploy its Program geeks after 4+ years of failing miserably. So far the gear I've received is top notch, and I only need to go out and buy a third of what I thought I would.
Regarding personal items, I have all of the basics covered. The only stuff I'm not sure about are my sources of entertainment. Mp3 player, laptop, stuff to write with. I'm trying to remember all of the things that came in handy and helped make the time pass by quicker while deployed.
Music was always my best distraction out there. I still have all of my favorite stuff to listen to, and 20 Gigs of space to save everything on, but I'm always looking for music I've forgotten about, or haven't heard of yet. Does anyone have any recommendations on what music to take along. Seriously... if you were deploying, what music would you take along for the ride? That's my challenge to everyone out that that may read this post. Tell me what you'd bring along.
I'll also be taking a few boxes of cigars. Cigars International is a great site to order from when you're deployed, but I'd rather bring a good supply to start off with.
So, I'll have music, cigars, and a laptop to keep writing with. Anything else?
posted by El Capitan at 6:08 PM
Sorry, Dear, not my area of expertise. I'd have to have a ton of books to go with the music, though. Let us know what you need (or want) that poor folks can help you with. You have my e-mail address...9:58 PM
Collective Soul, Rush, Zeppelin, The Offspring, Genesis-Phil Collins, Boston, STP, Tenacious D, The Who...all staples on my Ipod
hey- I sent you an email few days back about LA. Your spam filter might have got me. After work today I drove out to the big letters on the hill and Griffith park...and learnt my lesson about the 110...also, I found out that the company I'm visiting with is responsible for the "chemical laser" of the laser anti-missile system on the modified 747. that's nuts, huh?
Let's see...I would certainly have to include the following:
The Clash - "London Calling"
Dire Straits - "Communique"
Evanescence - "Fallen"
Guns 'n' Roses - "Appetite for Destruction"
Johnny Cash - "Legend"
Joss Stone - "Mind, Body & Soul"
KISS - "Alive II"
Led Zeppelin - "Led Zeppelin"
Ozzy Osbourne - "The Ozzman Cometh"
Peter Gabriel - "So"
Pearl Jam - "Ten"
Pink Floyd - "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"
The Police - "The Definitive Collection"
Rage Against The Machine - "Renegades"
Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"
Rush - "Moving Pictures"
U2 - "The Joshua Tree"
Breaking Benjamin - "Phobia"
The Who - "The Ultimate Collection"
I think I listen to entirely too much music.
RWA has an awesome list...
I would say every single rage against the machine album.
If you need them let me know and I'll upload them for you...